On Friday 19 October 2007 02:07:49 pm Richard Creighton wrote:
> Mike Coan wrote:
> > when the installation fails and I reboot and begin a new installation, I
> > note that disks 3 and 4 are labeled md0, but disk 2 is not.  perhaps it
> > is a problem with disk 2.  My next attempt will try to create a raid5
> > using disks 1, 3 and 4.
> >
> > Mike
>
> Mike,
>
> Did you make the installation in 2 stages as I suggested and make the
> raid array from within Yast after updating the kernel?
>
> In other words, I don't trust the installer to make the array.   Before
> you create the array, you can try creating a conventional file system on
> it and get the formatter to check the surface.   That might give you a
> clue.   Also, don't forget 'badblocks' (maybe spelled wrong, it's been a
> long time).

Richard,

Thanks so much for your persistence.  I did in fact try it in two stages,
updating the kernel, and then tried the array.  no luck.  I then thought it
might be a problem with just raid5.  I created a raid0 array, and that was
successful.  I then created a raid1 array, and that too was successful,
although it took a while and it sounded like a hard drive was clicking.  With
the remaining space on the drives I then tried to create a raid 5 array.  it
immediately failed with a different error message, but now there was a
message on the console.  S.M.A.R.T. indicated /sdc was failing.  I removed
the 3rd drive and voila, YAST had no trouble creating a raid5 array.  it was
a hardware problem all along. I had SMART enabled the whole time and it kept
saying the drives were fine.  It was only after repeated attempts to create a
raid 5 array that SMART finally indicated the drive was bad.

Although time consuming, the exercise was helpful to me.  From your YAST
screen shot I realized that one didn't need to use the entire disk for an
array, just equal size partitions. i had been under the impression you had to
use the whole drive.  Thus I will format things differently.  Linux does the
file serving, but we have one major application that must be run on a Windows
server.  I run it as a virtual machine using vmware.  Since raid 0 is the
fastest, I will create a raid0 array for virtual machines.  Then two raid5
arrays for / and for /storage.  I back up to storage and to an external usb
drive.

Thanks again for all your help.  Sorry it was a hardware problem, but since
SMART indicated no problem, i wasn't sure.  There must be a way to test
drives to make sure they are good before beginning aninstallation.

Mike

--
Michael A. Coan
Woodlawn Foundation