Bryen wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-10-20 at 12:29 +0200, Eberhard Roloff wrote:
>> Joe Morris (NTM) wrote:

>>> Worked here.  I have Blackdown java 1.4.2 installed for my 64 bit
>>> browser.  AFAIK, it is the only 64 bit java plugin.
>>>>
>>> What arch?  If you run i586, this would not apply.
>>>
>> This webpage works greatly here with 10.3 i586
>>
>> What I did:
>>
>> -found that the command "java" did not work anymore, since there was no
>> /usr/bin/java anymore.
>>
>> Tried with
>>
>> -Found out that the link /usr/bin/java pointed to
>> /etc/alternatives/java, which in turn pointed to the wrong, not
>> (anymore) existing sun java jre.
>>
>> Corrected the link manually from pointing to
>> /usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.6.0.u2-sun/bin/java, which was not there, anmore
>> to correctly pointing to
>> /usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.6.0.u3-sun/bin/java which exists.
>>
>> and this was it.
>>
>> Actually sometimes I think windows users are happy campers, since they
>> can continue with their work instead of tracking down this mess.
>>
>> Kind regards
>> Eberhard
>>
> Eberhard...  using ll, I can see the broken symlinks you are referring
> to.  For those of us not familiar with how to change symlinks, can you
> give us the exact commands to use step by step to resolve this?
>
> Thanks,

sure. You are wellcome.

Just to warm up:
-"java" yields "command not found"
-as root "find / -name "java" yields many things java, among them
"/usr/bin/java"

Now for something real:

ls -la  /usr/bin/java:
.... /usr/bin/java -> /etc/alternatives/java

then ls -la /etc/alternatives/java
.../etc/alternatives/java -> /usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.6.0.u2-sun/bin/java
(which does not exist!)

go to /etc/alternatives and delete the existing link to the non existing
java executable:
as root:
cd /etc/alternatives
rm java

create a new link there with the name "java" to the existing java
executable. Beforehand, check on your system, whether java is REALLY
there, where you want to link to!

ln -s /usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.6.0.u3-sun/bin/java ./java

double check with:
ls la java

then as ordinary user, check, whether "java" yields a long explanation
of all the parameters that you can use with it. ;-))

start firefox
enjoy.

I hope it will work for you, as well.

kind regards