Listmates,

        I am still pulling my hair out trying to get compiz to work with my
laptop. I have Install ati 8.40 drivers and removed official ati drivers
and the ati repository and tried the 1-click
http://opensuse-community.org/ati-legacy.ymp to install the version that
is supposed to work on most ATI hardware.

        The legacy drivers did not work with the mobility 9700 card, no
acceleration and no 3D. Frame rates were 1/10 of the 8.4.1 drivers.

        I have also redirected the /usr/bin/X link to /usr/bin/Xgl and switched
on xgl via gnome-xgl-switch --enable-xgl. I get a fusion icon and I can
play with the control center, but that's it. Everything is dog slow, and
no 3D.

        If I try the same link and enable xgl under the new ATI drivers 8.4.1,
the system is basically non responsive. I have now switched back to the
working 8.4.1 drivers, disabled xgl and repaired the /usr/bin/X link to
/var/X11R6/bin/X.  All works fine. The 8.4.1 drivers are the drivers for
the mobility 9700 card. However, Compiz must not have made that
coordination because the legacy 8.4.0 drivers, don't even recognize  the
correct graphics card.

        I'm getting to the point of believing that support for the mobility
9700 card for xgl and compiz is just not there yet.

        If anyone has any other thoughts please send them along. I feel I have
pretty much chased this rabbit to it logical end.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC