On Wednesday 24 October 2007 12:26, Robert Lewis wrote:
> For the last three or four version of SUSE (other Linux variants too)
> my old machine keyboard/mouse will lockup usually with in 5-30
> minutes.
>
> It it is an Intel D815EPEA2 motherboard.  512MB RAM
>
> When it locks up I can often plug in a USB mouse and have that
> work but without a keyboard the system is useless.

Fascinating. I have an Intel D865PERL in one box (running SuSE Linux
10.0) and an ASUS P5B/Deluxe in another (running openSUSE 10.3). I
recently replaced (tried to replace) a pair of keyboards and mice with
a single keyboard and mouse (going from PS/2 keyboards to a USB
keyboard, but the mice were USB before and after) connecting the mouse
and keyboard via an IOGear 4-port DVI/USB KVM switch.

When I use the KVM switch I get the same symptom you report, but only on
the Intel board. The ASUS never has any problems.

Other "fascinating" details of this problem:

- The mouse and keyboard don't freeze simultaneously.
- If I keep moving the mouse, it won't hang / stall. (It's possible this
is the case with the keyboard, too, but I haven't tried to confirm that
hypothesis.)
- If when the mouse and / or keyboard are frozen I switch the KVM to the
ASUS box, wait a while and switch back to the Intel box, the mouse and
keyboard will work again for a while on the Intel box.
- If when the mouse and / or keyboard are frozen I switch the KVM
_quickly_ to the ASUS box and back to the Intel box, they will _NOT_
unlock.
- There does not appear to be a fixed amount of time before the mouse
and / or keyboard freeze. Sometimes it's a matter of 30 seconds, other
times I can work OK for a few mintues, but never more than that.

I've tried every variation of the BIOS USB legacy on/off full- /
hi-speed, etc. settings on the Intel box to no avail.

This is a most vexatious problem for me, 'cause with multiple keyboards
on my desk, I frequently type on the wrong one and am often leaning
over one to type on the other. I fear one day I'll type something on
the wrong keyboard (the one _not_ connected to the display) and
something bad will ensue.

Lastly, this same setup (mouse and keyboard connected via KVM) also gave
the ASUS box problems when it was running openSUSE 10.2, but in that
case the problem was that when the KVM was switched away from that box,
the kernel would periodically (and frequently) emit a huge bolus of
USB-related diagnostic messages into /var/log/messages. This might have
gone unnoticed, except for the fact that almost everything on the
system paused while the messages were being emitted (possibly 'cause
they were also going to virtual console 10).

> I tried plugging a combo USB mouse and keyboard, but in the end
> I had a lockup as well.  The same keyboard mouse combo works
> on other hardware platforms so this is unique to this hardware.
>
> I am going to try the dreaded MS next to see if that will work.
>
> Anyone have suggestions how I might further diagnose this or
> is it time to junk the machine?

I got nothing, but I'd dearly love to resolve this problem!

> Bob

Randall Schulz