Rikard Johnels wrote:
On Wednesday 24 October 2007 15:48, Ciro Iriarte wrote:
Hi, just found a weird behavior on 10.3 (didn't happen on 10.1), when
i have little space it directly tells me that there's no space
left.... i'm using  reiserfs on those fs...

mainwks:~/download> df -h /home/ /srv/ftp/
S.ficheros          TamaƱo Usado  Disp Uso% Montado en
/dev/mapper/system-home
                       32G   32G  130M 100% /home
/dev/mapper/system-ftp
                       15G   15G  236M  99% /srv/ftp

 <snip for trim>

I seem to recall the system reserving a certain amount of space to enable root to login in case of a filled system. Or was that only on a ext2 filesystem?

That's on ALL Unix and Linux systems that I've ever used.
Once disk usage goes beyond a threshold (set individually
in each filesystem layout on each partition at filesystem
creation time), only root can write to the filesystem.

Any filesystem (ext3, xfs, reiserfs, etc) which doesn't have
this capability cannot be a general purpose Unix or Linux
filesystem because it cannot be used on whatever filesystem(s)
(i.e partition) hold, for example, /tmp, /var/log, /var/tmp,
and wherever root's home directory happens to be.

Also, what are you trying to do? Make a small (asy 4k)
> file, or something bigger?
How about inodes? Are you out of those?
Do a 'df -i' to check.