On Thu, Oct 25, 2007 at 08:54:53PM +1000, Barrie Hill wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Over the last couple of days I have applied the opensuse 10.3 updates as
> notified by zypper. Three of theses updates have broken my login to KDE.
> I was still able to login via a console screen.
>
> These are the updates that caused the first problem. After the updates
> were applied, when I tried to log into KDE, the screen went black and
> then returned to the login screen.
>
> libopenssl-devel 4476-0
> libopenssl-devel 4560-0
>
> The .xsession-errors file indicated an openssl version problem.
> Unfortunately I don't have a copy of that file now.
>
> The fix to this problem was to reinstall the original openssl packages
> from the opensuse 10.3 dvd from the console using the following command.
>
> rpm --oldpackage -Uvh openssl-0.9.8e-45.i586.rpm
> libopenssl0_9_8-0.9.8e-45.i586.rpm openssl-certs-0.9.8e-45.i586.rpm
> libopenssl-devel-0.9.8e-45.i586.rpm

This happens if you have the FACTORY repository added. The security
patch for openssl will pull in the _FACTORY_ openssl version instead
of the of the _SECURITY_ update version. While the provides/requirements
all fit, the FACTORY version is binary incompatible.

> The second problem occurred  when  I installed  the following
> x11-server  update. I was unable to move my mouse pointer or enter text
> into the password field. I could still login via the text console.
>
> This was the offending patch
>
> xorg-x11-server  4595-0

Now this should work, please open a bugreport.

> The fix to this problem was to reinstall the original x11-server package
> from the opensuse 10.3 dvd from the console using the following command.
>
> rpm --oldpackage -Uvh xorg-x11-server-7.2-143.i586.rpm
>
> I have been googling the problem but can't find any mention of this problem
>
> I'm not sure if I have a problem with my install or if this is a known
> issue. Is this the right place to be posting this issue?

For bugreports, please use bugzilla.

Ciao, Marcus