Hi,

I've been tweaking the overclocking on my Core 2 Duo system (running
openSUSE 10.3 with all current updates and patches installed) and have,
for now at least, settled on these values:

- Base clock: 333 MHz
- CPU Multiplier 9 (2.997 GHz)
- DRAM Multiplier 5:2 (833 MHz)

The BIOS reports are consistent with these settings, but everything
displayed under Linux seems to reflect the default CPU multiplier value
of 10. Thus, KSensors and /proc/cpuinfo (KPowersave, as well) show the
CPU clock as 3.33 GHz.

What's even more inexplicable (to me) is the fact that the bogoMIPS
value is consistent with this (w.r.t. the values it had when the CPU
multiplier _was_ set to the default 10): 6662 and 6658. (When the base
clock was 300 and the CPU multiplier was 10, bogoMIPS was about 6000.)

The reason I find this inexplicable is that I thought bogoMIPS was
computed empirically, by running some simple timing loops. If that's
correct, then this value should reflect the actual CPU speed of 3 GHz,
right?

Can anyone explain this?

Randall Schulz