On Fri, 2007-10-26 at 22:00 +0200, Marcus Meissner wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 26, 2007 at 09:49:12PM +0200, primm wrote:
> > How do I do it?
> >
> > I don't want it to check for updates. That's all. when I try to uninstall
> > it i
> > get loadsa dependency problems.
> >
> > How do I stop it checking for updates everytime 250 users log in? System
> > wide?
> >
> > it's a real pain.
>
> Try deinstalling opensuse-updater-kde and opensuse-updater-gnome.
>
> Ciao, Marcus

If I can make a better suggestion?  Instead of uninstalling those
updates, you have two choices.  Turn off checking in the preferences of
the applets.  (But then again, users could re-enable it at this point.)

Remove all repositories from the boxes, and create a single internal
repository in your company.  Any critical updates that need to get out
to the users would be saved to this repository by you, the
administrator.  That way, users aren't a) getting unapproved/untested
updates, b) users ARE getting updates that you deem a must c) they're
not getting all the dependency errors and stuff that you mentioned.

Remember, only you as an administrator can modify repository listings on
the box anyway, so your users aren't able to fiddle around with this.

This way, you have some level of control still, when you go to a user's
workstation, and decide you need to do a check of updates.  (Although,
you have CLI options available, you could still want the applet for say
a help-desk support person who doesn't have CLI abilities.)

In my opinion, that's a more elegant solution than ripping out the
updater altogether.  No matter what operating system you're using, you
should always set os updates to point to an internal server rather than
an external server.

--
---Bryen---