On Sat, 2007-10-27 at 02:39 -0500, Rajko M. wrote:

> On Friday 26 October 2007 08:57:54 pm Igor Jagec wrote:
> > Yep, I know about that, thanks. I've just wanted to know why these
> > packages are not available on Update repository. I prefer using vendor
> > supplied packages since I always assume that vendor test and debug all
> > the programs before updating, and so on.
> You will be surprised how many patches openSUSE developers donate to
> different
> projects, so sometimes you can be better off with 'outdated' openSUSE version
> than vendor supplied, ie. get patch that will be in vendor package one or two
> versions after you start using it.

When I said vendor supplied, I meant openSUSE version. Seems I choose
the wrong term, sorry :)

I'm quite new to openSUSE, so I was just asking about all that. When I
was a Fedora user, I've always followed Fedora's recommendations (such
as: use Yum for installing/updating software, use Livna's nVidia
packages instead of nVidia's tarball package, and so on), and I've never
had serious issues with Fedora. Now on openSUSE I'm doing the same
thing. For instance, I've followed the recommendation for using Zypper
instead of SmartPM from the starters.

Cheers!

--
Igor Jagec