Maura Edelweiss Monville wrote:

> Finally, a R contributor suggested me to use Yast and
> select from the "Package" drop-down menu the package
> "development tools"
> Surprisingly, if I click on "Packages" no list of
> packages is shown. SuSE 9.3 would provide all
> available packages listed by topic. SuSE 10.2 only
> gives me the option to install all of them.

It seems that what the contributor referred to isn't "Package" but
"Pattern", an option inside a drop-down menu you can locate in the YaST
Online Update Module window. Once you select it, a list of patterns
appears and you may choose the one called "Basic Development". Click
accept, follow the instructions and you should have the required
compilers installed.

> I have to specify that SuSE 10,2 comes from a free s/w
> download. I wonder whether I would experience the same
> troubles by installing from the commercial SuSE PRO
> 10.2 (they should be equivalent ... ?)

The boxed version of openSUSE 10.2 is equivalent to the one available
for downloading.

> FInally, the reason why I did not install SuSE 10.3 is
> because the IT person told me that the latest version
> is not stable. It does not allow to customize the
> partitions during the installation procedure ...

openSUSE was officially released in Oct 4,2007. It is considered a
stable version, although some bugs may eventually appear. Yes, it allows
the customization of your partitions during installation procedure.

> Is it any better than 10.2 ???

10.3 does have a lot of added and improved resources, but this is a
matter of opinion.

Hope I could be of some help.

CF