Rajko M. wrote:
On Sunday 28 October 2007 12:51:54 pm Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:
The plea for help is a sort of double dip on this forum.  I also posted
a request for help with a driver for the Canon Pixma MP830.  After
sending that note, I tried to fix the problem myself by changing the
parallel port connection provided in the SUSE-supplied driver with a USB
port designation.

In short you connected printer using USB instead of parallel port cable.

The Canon PIXMA MP 830 connects to the computer by a USB port.

It wouldn 't accept it, saying that the port wasn't properly configured!

I would need more details on this, like this:
  Printer connected to computer and turned on.
Started YaST > Hardware > Printer Do you see printer in YaST list, or there is no nothing? What message below list tells?

I downloaded a new driver from Gutenprint and then turned on Yast2 and went to Hardware>Printer. The printer was not spotted but I clicked "Edit" and found its driver in the collection of drivers. I loaded the driver. This time, there was no port designated, but I was told that the wrong spooler was chosen. SO, I guess the spooler picks the port. What now? (I hope this is all solved in 10.3 which I might be getting in a couple of months, depending on the status of my 10/3 order with SuSE)

It was already working, by the way, to connect the scanner feature to my computer. So, I tried to mount the usb port only
to find I had no idea how to indicate the proper device in the mount
command (I tried several of them, searched though the relevant man
entries and even did a couple of apropos searches.)

You can mount hard drive connected to USB port, but not port itself.

If you can help me (despite my double-dipping), I would appreciate it.

It is obvious that there is no many with Canon Pixma MP830, but without more details people that know how to setup printers can't say what might be wrong, or help you to troubleshoot problem. For instance it would be helpful to turn printer on and run:
  dmesg | tail -n10

I ran dmesg | tail -n10 and got:

usb 1-6.4: SerialNumber: 188C80
usb 1-6.4: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
usb-storage: device found at 6
usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
  Vendor: Canon     Model: MP830Storage      Rev: 0114
sd 2:0:0:0: Attached scsi removable disk sda
sd 2:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 0
usb-storage: device scan complete

to see what kernel is doing. Is registered any activity on USB port. Then command: hwinfo --printer
I ran hwinfo --printer (as root) and saw:

21: USB 00.1: 10900 Printer
  [Created at usb.122]
  UDI: /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_4a9_1713_188C80_if1
  Unique ID: vnL8.pR2kLXpvOP1
  Parent ID: MtLc.sdOrso15kK4
  SysFS ID: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.7/usb1/1-6/1-6.4/1-6.4:1.1
  SysFS BusID: 1-6.4:1.1
  Hardware Class: printer
  Model: "Canon MP830"
  Hotplug: USB
  Vendor: usb 0x04a9 "Canon"
  Device: usb 0x1713 "MP830"
  Revision: "1.14"
  Serial ID: "188C80"
  Speed: 480 Mbps
  Module Alias: "usb:v04A9p1713d0114dc00dsc00dp00ic07isc01ip02"
  Config Status: cfg=no, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown
  Attached to: #14 (Hub)

Thanks again for your help.

--
Best regards,