> > Some time ago, I remember seeing a discussion about a way to speed up
> > the launch of OpenOffice.org modules. Now I can't find any reference to
> > it. I can find references to 'quick launch' but that refers to putting
> > icons on the quicklaunch panel. Does anyone else remember such a
> > discussion or am I just going nuts in my old age? Thanks for any assistance.
>
> Turn off Java: Tools > Options > OO.org > Java.
>
> I don't know what Java is used for in OO; I didn't miss any
> functionality. YMMV.

The main thing Java is used for in OOo is (some of) the wizards - also
some of the extensions like Report Builder use Java, and the database
connectors use Java.  If your day to day use of OOo does not include
working your way through the wizards or extensive use of Base, then
you will probably never miss Java if you disable it in OOo.

C.