Hi,

On 10/26/07, David C. Rankin J.D. P.E. wrote:

> What is it that causes mount.ntfs-3g to run at what seems like
> random times. When this occurs, it will eat 17-30% pf the CPU running for
> several minutes also creating a lot of hard drive activity. Is this
> something like beagle that I can just shoot in the head?

Yes, quite probably it's beagle or some other similar software(s), e.g.
Amarok collectionscanner, etc, which scans directories and doing whatever
is its purpose.

By default NTFS-3G doesn't use any CPU resource, only if softwares are
reading or writing files from/to and NTFS partition.

"Unfortunately" one of the drawbacks of the driver mostly being in user
space is that that people can very easily notice the CPU usage a driver
spends doing its work. This is mostly "hidden" for in-kernel file systems
because it's accounted in the overall system time what process resource
monitors don't usually show or it's ignored because the focus is made
typically only on the process lists.

There can be quite many reasons for really high CPU usage (17-30% is not
unusual for any fs). The most common scenarios are discussed here:

        http://ntfs-3g.org/support.html#cpu100

Regards,
            Szaka

--