On Tuesday 30 October 2007 08:58, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> * BandiPat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [10-30-07 11:54]:
>  [...]
>
> > Moving to full 64bit should indeed be a better choice, you would
> > think, yet many of apps & plugins are still 32bit only.
>
> I believe that this is fluff and not fact.  There are a few apps
> which only have 32bit plug-ins for certain capabilities, ie: I still
> run 32bit firefox and plug-ins and 32bit java.  But *everything* else
> on my 10.1 system *is* 64bit.

But why? Do you run applications that need a 64-bit address space? If
not, it's only more execution overhead to move nearly twice as much
data around to get any given task done. The fact that the main system
busses are 64-bits wide does not negate this overhead. Almost
everything a desktop computer does is RAM-limited (this is even true
for most CPU-intensive applications), so using a lot less RAM really
does help.

> --
> Patrick Shanahan

Randall Schulz