Aaron Kulkis wrote:
> Ken Schneider wrote:
>> Aaron Kulkis wrote:

>>> Really?
>>>
>>> So if the /tmp directory is corrupted, and it is on its
>>> own partition (and therefore, a separate filesystem),
>>> this corrupts the root filesystem how, exactly?
>>>

>> You weren't talking about corruption but only disk I/O.
>
> A filesystem can't get corrupted if there's no write
> activity on it.

DUH!

>> Disk corruption is another matter.
>
> No, they're directly related.
>
>> Disk I/O affects all partitions on the disk not just one.
>
> the overall wear of read/write head and it's controller arm
> is effected, along with the data on the particular
> partition/filesystem being written to.

Which affect the other partitions because they _cannot_ be written to at
the same time, duh!

> Remember, it's a physical device doing a physical
> activity...MODIFYING the data at a specific location
> on the physical platter(s).
>
>> If the disk is writing to a /tmp partition it _is_ going to affect
>> the / partition due to head movement etc.
>
> But that corrupts the / partition how, exactly?

You are the one that brought up corruption, not me.

> You're not an engineer, are you?

You don't have to be an engineer to realize you can't perform write
operations to two different partitions at the same time on the same
disk. I still say I/O is I/O, you're either writing to or reading from a
specific place on one platter of the disk which prevents reading/writing
from any other place on the disk ( I/O ).

Ken