On Friday 02 November 2007 10:18, chika wrote:
> is it openSUSE suitable for being a server???

Certainly.

> any option, maybe another distro?

Probably. I hear Solaris gets used for servers a lot...

> just curious.... openSUSE always loads or uses 90% of my 1 gig RAM,
> but ubuntu  just 25% of it. what's that mean?

People often worry when they see persistently high memory utilization on
Linux systems. They fear they're running out of memory, when in fact
free memory is wasted memory. Most of the time on most desktop Linux
systems with a reasonable margin of RAM, a good bit of the "used" RAM
is just cached disk contents that can be reused (without requiring disk
I/O) if needed or discarded and reassigned to a different use at no
cost.

You _want_ to see high overall utilization. It means Linux is making the
most of the physical RAM you have.

As to any differences between Ubuntu and openSUSE, I have no idea. It
probably just reflects a different pattern of system usage.

Randall Schulz