On Sunday 04 November 2007 09:23, G T Smith wrote:
> Randall R Schulz wrote:
> > On Sunday 04 November 2007 07:43, G T Smith wrote:
> >>
> >> In this case, and at this point I am more interested in data
> >> files, and working out whether it would be useful to exclude
> >> unchanged RPM installed data files from an archiving process.
> >
> > Why don't you simply segregate your use of the file system so that
> > your data files never reside in the same place (same directory or
> > hierarchy) as those that constitute installed software?
> >

> > Randall Schulz
>
> Data files include configuration files... and some of these appear in
> some damn odd places...

Well, if that's your definition...

Use the RPM database to identify any RPM-originating file that has
changed (based on either time or MD5 sum) and include them in your list
of "data files."

I guess that still leaves any file created by an RPM post-installation
script—or are those listed in the RPM's payload file list, too?

> So in essence it is not that simple... and as I said I am more
> interested at this stage in working out whether it would be a useful
> thing to do, before I spend time trying to implement it..., if it
> offers no tangible benefit it will not be done...

Why are you making it so difficult? Back up the entire system and be
done with it.

Randall Schulz