Дана недеља 04 новембар 2007, David C. Rankin је написао(ла):
> Dirk Petry wrote:
> > Anyway, actually I need to get some work done and having compiz
> > working doesn't really seem to improve my productivity at the
> > moment.
> > I think I will wait until they integrated it better with KDE.
>
>       You are correct. I usually don't care what WM I'm running as long as it
> is stable, reasonably fast, and allows me to do what I need to do. But I
> must say, compiz will spoil you.

The most annoying thing about integration with KDE is that compiz is not able
to remember on which viewport were the windows before the user logged out. I
get all the windows randomly placed on the first viewport and then I have to
rearange them by hand. I sure would prefer if that (w/c)ould be done
automatically. My only hope is that KDE4 will bring compiz features without
compiz :)

>       Beyond the ability to simply grab the desktop and spin the cube, there
> are several other utilities that allow for greater visual orientation of
> your workspace. "scale" and "shift switcher" are two enhancements that
> really help. They are not found on any other desktop I've tried and they
> allow a visual of what is in each window during task switching or window
> selection.

You obviously didn't try Mac OS X, did you? One of the base parts of OpenStep
API (and later Cocoa) is DPS (Display PostScript) which was inherited by
Quartz (could be called Display PDF). The idea is to have independantly
rendered windows which would be placed wherever the window manager puts them
with the ability to apply any form of transformation to them. That's how you
get the "expose" feature on OS X and the docker with live windows. It is just
matter of idea what you will implement when you get a good API like that. The
same thing - DPS exists on X windows as well, but only GNUstep tried to use
it. New incarnation of that idea is cairo from freedesktop and these OpenGL
extensions (AIGLX and Xgl) with compositing window managers.

>       Don't get me wrong, I can deal with overlapping windows on multiple
> desktops using the taskbar or alt+tab to get to what you want. But, the
> large additional amount of additional visual data that compiz provides
> allowing you to see what is in each open widow (updated in real
> time).... will spoil you.
>
>       Just start top in a console and invoke scale with "alt+shift+up arrow"
> to see what is going on, you'll see.

Well, I did that and results were quite fine. Here's the summary:

vmware-vmx: 51.5% cpu, 4.9% mem
compiz: 32.9% cpu, 3.1% mem
Xorg: 11.6% cpu, 16.6% mem

Just to mention, vmware-vmx (VMware server) is running Windows XP SP2 and
compiling Qt 4.3.2, so that's why it is using half of my CPU. The only thing
that is bothering me is Xorg eating too much memory. I guess that comes from
the composite extension having to store the picture of every window in the
memory.

I am using openSUSE 10.3 with compiz from X11:Xgl repo. My GPU is ATI Radeon
9660 with free software driver and AIGLX and my CPU is AMD Athlon64 3000+
with 1GB RAM. The screenshot of the above mentioned can be found here:

http://brcha.no-ip.org/Screenshots/screen20071104.png

(if my computer is online which is most of the time).

- --
Filip Brcic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
WWWeb: http://purl.org/NET/brcha/home/
Jabber: [EMAIL PROTECTED]