I'm running 10.3 i386, I can write to DVD's no problem but if I burn a CD ISO,
the drive goes though the motions of writing the CD but K3B reports that
it's 'closing the session' from the off and once the drive finishes it
reports that it does not have permission to open the device.

Upon investigation the recorded CD looks fine.

I've basically no clue as to what to do with this, worked fine on 10.2 and
DVD's are fine, it's just a bit disconcerting not knowing whether or not my
CD's have written correctly.

I'll try it from the command line to determine whether it's K3B or cdrecord
but other than that I've no clue as to what to do.

Matthew