Billie Walsh wrote:
> On 11/06/2007 Tom Peters wrote:
> Billie wrote:
>>> Don't know if this helps, but a few years ago I had a computer that
>>> was saying the same thing. I couldn't find anything wrong with the
>>> drive so I turned off smart and used it another couple years before
>>> it finally failed.
>>
>> Just because you got lucky, doesn't mean  he will. Why risk someone
>> else's data? If SMART says he has sectors that can't be read and are
>> pending relocation, he should dig into the drive and find out what's
>> happening.
>
> I never said he should just ignore it. I checked my drive before I did
> anything. I think I said that in my post above. However, sometimes [
> SOMETIMES ] SMART isn't quite as smart as it thinks it is. AFTER I
> checked my drive and found nothing wrong I turned it off because I got
> tired of the nagging at start up.

In a very unfortunate incident I used a drive for which SMART was
reporting errors. I low level reformatted the drive, run SMART's
long test and got no errors. Installed the OS and had the drive fail
shortly afterwards.

The bottom line is that if the self diagnostic tool in the drive
says it is failing, replace it. If you don't you might get lucky o
or you might not. The safety of your data is up to you.

--
     Rafael