Bryen wrote:
I'm experimenting a little bit with sudo functionality and came across
this interesting quirk.

If I set up a user who is allowed to launch yast2 and then I run the
sudo command, yast2 always reverts to yast (ncurses) instead of the GUI
in GNOME.

if I su into root and run 'yast2', yast2 always comes up in GNOME as the
GUI.
Why can't I SUDO a user to get yast2 gui?  I just tested this on my SLES
server and found the effect was the same as here on my 10.3 box.
Intentional quirk or an oversight no one noticed before?

You're getting into the murky realm of the dividing
line between the real user ID, and the effective User ID,
and who has access to what resources.

I remember a time when even a root process couldn't
open an X-window on a user's desktop without first
having the user change the security level on the
display using the xhost command.

THAT was a bug, because by definition, the superuser
should be able to use any resource available when it
requests access to it.