Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
> I am running the latest 5.5.x vmware on OpenUSUE 10.0. I want to install
> OpenSUSE 10.3 as a client. Every time I try, the 10.3 install takes me
> to a character screen where I can set up partitions and all. Obviously
> there is something missing in the vmware environment. I choose a
> Linux/SUSE type client OS when setting up for the install. I am
> installing from a DVD ISO image file mounted on 10.0. Anyone installed
> 10.3 this way? I need to do some tests in preparation for implementing
> 10.3.

I never tried it with 10.0 but VMWare Server 5.5 works very well under
10.2 with everything I've tried to use as a client including 10.3 (all
alpha and beta versions as well as GM) RedHat, Gentoo, XP, 2000, 98 and
DOS.   When I upgraded my machine to 10.3, VMWare Server refused to work
initially but I installed a patch

"vmware-any-any-patch"  or something like that and from then on, it also worked
without flaw.    The Workstation version of VMWare does not (last I heard)
currently work with 10.3 kernels (larger than 2.6.18 I think it is) so try the
SERVER version (possibly with patch if you are using 10.3 as a host) which also
happens to be free in non-commercial environments.   I tried the VirtualBox
solution I've seen offered but it is nowhere near VMWare IMO though it has a
lot of good features and will certainly improve with time.

As to your problem, I can only hazzard a guess;   10.3 is pretty resource
hungry and leaves a bit to be desired when it comes to detecting some hardware,
is it possible your virtual machine is just too anemic for a full graphics
install, especially memory?   I have had no problem with graphical 10.3
installations under VMWare Workstation when I allocate enough VM resources.   I
use VM to test all alpha/beta versions of SuSE BEFORE I trust it to a real
machine.

Richard