Emmanuel Briot wrote:
Hi,

I was wondering whether there is any tool in linux that can be used to
simulate a slow file system ?
I would need this to test the application I am working on, since some
customers are not using fast machines (some are even using Windows with
encrypted file systems). I would add such a tool to the very nice set
of tools on linux like valgrind, sysprof and memprof...

The bottleneck in filesystem access is not the speed of
the CPU, nor even encryption... it's the physical disks,
which still have average seek times on the order of
10 milliseconds.

For even an ancient 10 Mhz 80286, that's 10,000 clock
cycles, and for a first-generation Pentium at 100 MHz,
that's 100,000 clock cycles.

Basically, ALL filesystems which reside on disk are slow,
and all filesystems which reside on random-access
memory (even non-volatile NVRAM such as USB sticks)
are fast.

If that's not good enough for you, then you're going to
have to write a simulator, which calculates the time
delays of disk-head movement in a simulated disk drive.

While we are at it, any way to simulate a slow network ?

Write a simulator.

This is starting to sound like you're using the list
to do your try to get your college-level programming
projects done.

<http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#homework>