On 11/16/2007 07:31 AM, Scott Simpson wrote:
> /dev/sda1 /boot
> /dev/sda2 /
> /dev/sda3 system LVM
> /dev/sdb1 system LVM
>
> I upgraded from 10.2 to 10.3. During the upgrade, 10.3 aborted during
> the making of the initial ram disk /boot/initrd* (it got some kind of
> udev error). All my kernels are there but I have NO ram disks, hence I
> can't boot. When I tried booting off the kernel without an initrd, it
> says it can't find the root partition (I believe it needs the
> via82cxxx device driver because the root=/dev/sda2 option to grub
> doesn't work). To fix this I tried
>
> 1. Booting off SUSE 10.3 disk using automatic repair - This didn't
> work and it added a line to my /etc/fstab I had to remove using a
> rescue disk.

Don't use this, it is broken.
> 2. Booting into SUSE 10.3 rescue mode - I can't use mkinitrd to create
> a RAM disk here because the correct files aren't in the right places
> in rescue mode to make a RAM disk image. Also, When I boot in rescue
> mode, the rescue mode kernel is 2.6.22.5-23 and my on disk kernel is
> 2.6.22.5-31.

Use the rescue system to fix this, if your lib directory is on / and not
LVM.  If it is, I don't know.  Do this:
log in as root.
mount /dev/sda2 /mnt
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/boot
mount -o bind /dev /mnt/dev
mount -o bind /proc /mnt/proc
mount -o bind /sys /mnt/sys
cd /mnt
chroot /mnt
mkinitrd

Now look around to see if everything looks OK.  If it does, exit, then
shutdown -r now
If your filesystem is on LVM, I don't have any experience with it so
someone else will need to help.

--
Joe Morris