Rodney Baker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi all. This is more of a generic question but there are lots of
> knowledgeable
> people here so I think it is a good place to ask.
>
> A while back I tried to compile and install a new kernel but ran out of space
> on the root filesystem. To fix this I tried moving /lib onto a separate spare
> partition. I updated /etc/fstab but then found that the system would not boot
> because /lib wasn't mounted early enough.
>
> Is there a correct way (or an elegant way) to fix this? Does it require a
> rebuild of initrd?

/lib needs to be on the root filesystem.  Otherwise all files could be
in /usr/lib as well - /lib was created to contain those libs that are
needed for booting so that /usr can be on a separate partition,

Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger, Director Platform/openSUSE, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany