Greg KH wrote:
> [...]
BYTECC PCIe SATA II 300 + PATA Raid Card Model BT-PESAPA
>>> I think so, yes, but the "hotplug" capability of the individual sata
>>> devices might not work as Linux doesn't quite have full support for
>>> that.
>>>
>>> Also, the poweron/poweroff of the pci express slot card is a bit
>>> "different" for some laptops.  You might have to manually load the
>>> acpiphp and/or the pciehp drivers to get it to work properly for
>>> hotplugging the card itself.
>>>
>>> And, to top all that off, only the most recent laptops have proper pcie
>>> expresscard support in their bioses as the other "major" operating
>>> system didn't offer hotplug support until Vista, so no one tested them
>>> very well :(
>>>
>>> If you have any problems, or questions with this, please let me know.
>> Thank you, Greg.
>> This card sits on my mainboard.
>> What steps should i take to make it work ?
> Heh, I totally got this one wrong :)
> It should "just work" with 10.3, does it not?
Thank you Greg, it works :-)
The reason it did not see my drives in the yast partitioner earlier
is because the card uses jumpers to decide whether to use
Con1 (Sata) or Con3 (eSata) and Con2 (Sata) or Con4 (eSata)
and the instructions printed on the card are wrong for the
series i got, although, contrary to the manual, they are right
for another batch of those cards :-)

Are you planning on enabling external drive functionality
(mounting on connecting eSata, right-click unmount)
or does this need an effort by Kernel developers ?
Are they working on that ?

Kind regards     Philippe