Filip Brcic wrote:

> Дана субота 17 новембар 2007, Carlos E. R. је написао(ла):
>
>> The Friday 2007-11-16 at 21:26 -0000, d_garbage wrote:
>>
>>> I just installed an update via the tray applet and now the both the
>>> updater and software management seem to be broken?
>>>
>> Yes, it deletes libzypp and you are hosed. Replace manually (rpm --install
>> etc).
>>
>> Known bug. :-/
>>

> Is there no support in zypp to protect various packages from being deleted by
> incident? The same thing happened to me yesterday. Applet removed libzypp and
> zypper and I had to download them from the oS-Updates repository manually and
> reinstall them manually. Now it works, but that's not the point. Nobody asked
> me if I wanted to remove libzypp or anything. I did notice that applet
> removes applications from time to time due to some dependency issues or
> whatever, but it never asks the user does he want to remove that app. The
> applet or zypp obviously have issues which are not nice to have. Using YaST I
> can look at "installation summary" and I really don't understand why I can't
> see resolved dependencies when I update using the applet. If that is not
> possible, maybe the applet should be replaced with something that would only
> check if there are updates and then launch yast to do the real update.
>
> - --
> Filip Brcic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

To the best of my knowledge, no.   I think it is high time that each and
every one on this list write to Novell and ask that this 'feature' be
reinstated.   It used to be possible for (at least in the case of the
kernel) to keep the old kernel and reboot from it if the new one
failed.   Updates should NOT summarily delete anything unless you
specifically OPT for it to do so.   At a minimum, it should save it or
the RPM it is derived from at least one version deep in case you need to
revert to a previous version for any reason.   Again, the number of
previous versions could be user configurable and it would save only the
minimum (rpms or patches) necessary to restore to the previous version,
again configurable and only for installed software.   Again, for those
that have space limitations, this should be an OPTION to save ZERO deep
(as it is now) but the default should be at least  back to the previous
version with a mechanism to revert to that version without being a
rocket scientist.

If enough people write to Novell and openSuse.org, this *can* happen.
It *should* happen, and if it doesn't happen, Novell won't have to worry
about it for long because the reputation for bad/defective software will
drive it out of the market soon enough.   It is one thing to make an
honest mistake, it is another to design a system so there is no viable
recovery from those mistakes.

Richard