On Fri, 2007-11-23 at 17:53 -0500, Fred A. Miller wrote:
> Teruel de Campo MD wrote:
> >> Almost anything from HP will be supported, except their very cheapest
> >> models
> >> which cut a few corners.  They're the gold standard for manufacturer based
> >> printer & scanner support under linux.
> >>
> >> Epson reportedly also has fairly good support.
> >>
> >> John.
> >
> > John,
> >
> > This is not my experience few month ago. Things might have changed. When
> > I looked into HP scanners you could run most of the all in one devices
> > (fax, printer, scanner) but there was not support for any of the high
> > end single purpose scanner. That's why I end up getting the Epson 4990
> > photo.
> >
> > http://hp-linux.cern.ch/support/devscanner.php3
>
> Terry, I have the 4490 Photo which is an EXCELLENT scanner, but Iscan
> limits me to only a max. of 2400DPI, when the printer is capable of
> 4800x9600. Are you limited in the 4990 Photo as well, and will it scan
> negatives properly with conversion?

Fred,

1. Yes with vuescan I can go to 4800 and that should be the same with
yours. Ain't fast :) Vuescan is also very nice to scan slides and
negatives and support the use of the slide trays. It is a well polished
product. I bough the license.

2. I choose the 4990 because I can run sane without proprietary drivers
under opensuse 10.3 64b.
Initially using suse 10.2 I tried the proprietary drivers and I think I
have to install also some 32b libraries and work well. I did not see any
advantages but I did not test high resolutions because I do not use
them.

3. The sane backend  has bug that prevents you from going to high
resolution. Although I can see in both xsane and kooka resolutions up to
3200 it does not work. I can get 1400 or a little more and then
complains that "can not start scanner out of memory" which of course is
not true (I have 2GB and plenty of space)
I saw this thread:
https://alioth.debian.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=303493&group_id=30186&atid=410366
So if you can go to 2400 using the epson drivers you are doing better
than me using sane.

4. I also installed the win software that came with the scanner under
VMware and works very well although I do not use it since I discover
vuescan. My interest were scan slides and many at the time.

Regards,

-=terry=-