On Sat, 2007-11-24 at 13:10 +0100, Philippe Landau wrote:
> Aaron Kulkis wrote:
> > Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
> >> It would be nice if there was a mechanism for other configuration
> >> systems to at least be started from YaST. Like gnome / kde / compiz
> >> configurations. Not to duplicate them. But at least to find them. I am
> >> sure there are many more config programs that can be located. Perhaps
> >> this should be a YaST module more than any change to YaST itself. But I
> >> think it is a missing feature. Something simple. Just a description of
> >> what the config program configs, and a button to start it.
> >
> > Those are user-level configurations.
> > YaST is a SYSTEM level tool.
> >
> > If those configuration programs were invoked from YaST,
> > they would only change root's configuration -- they
> > wouldn't change diddly squat for the normal user.
> >
> > And frankly, giving newbies the idea that a SYSTEM
> > set-up tool should be where to go to change a USER'S
> > customizations is just plain backwards.
> For most users there is no difference except root
> requiring entering a password.

Exactly. It is a fictional division. For example, you go into YaST to
share a personal folder via NFS, not just system-wide folders. Quite
often, and especially in a desktop system, the difference is blurred.
KDE's config ccenter, which is of course not under the control of YaST
developers, has system settings. Of course YaST cannot keep other
systems from allowing system setting changes. But the developers can
recognize this fact that the distinction is not clear.

Perhaps what is needed is a YaDT (D for desktop) or YaUT (U for user)
where all these other configs come together. But then I would suggest
that some more things in YaST be moved there as they are not really
system-level tools. Like bluetooth device pairings. Those must surely be
per-user. But they are in YaST. Why have things like KIWI in YaST? You
are not configuring the existing system. As a user you are perhaps
making some other new system. IMO, a very 'user' activity. Unless we are
making self-replicating/duplicating systems:)

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST
Ramböll Sverige AB