The Sunday 2007-11-25 at 00:17 +0100, Jan Tiggy wrote:

lo Carlos

Try umounting using "/etc/init.d/boot.crypto stop" instead. Or, if you

I can't do it. I got a couple of crypted hard disks thus I copy the
particular cryptotabs into /etc/ before mounting them manually.

mount/umount normally, define the mount in fstab instead.

I don't want to have the crypted hard disks in fstab and mount during
the boot time. I mount it manually.

Simply use the option "noauto" and they will not be mounted during boot. It works, I use it.

The procedure looks something like this:

mount procedure includes 3 o more files:

#/bin/mntsdb
#!/bin/bash
sudo cp /etc/cryptotabsdb /etc/cryptotab
sudo /etc/init.d/boot.crypto start
sudo cp /etc/cryptotaborg /etc/cryptotab

Oh my! You overwrite it! I'm not surprised you get the errors you see.

umount procedure is plain:

'umount /srv/hdd5'

Then comes the error everytime i remount the same hdd like above

Obviously. At that time, the cryptotab definition doesn't match.

If you do it that way, you have to remove the loop device manually, using "losetup -a" to see them, then "losetup -d" to remove them.

But seriously, consider this method, via fstab:

/dev/device   /mnt/mountpoint  xfs  reiserfs
noauto,user,loop,encryption=twofish256  1 4

You can mount it as user (no sudo needed), it will not be mounted during boot, the "loop" device is dynamically selected, and ... I forgot the and, the telly interrupted my thoughts :-)

- -- Cheers,
       Carlos E. R.