jdd wrote:
Billie Walsh wrote:

Somehow, I have wonder why someone that didn't know what an "NIS Server"
is would be trying to change settings.

FYI: I have no earthly idea what an "NIS Server" is. I don't need it and
don't use it.

if you don't know what it is you can't know if you don't need it!!!

I just had to help somebody that wanted to have the multiuser roaming profile he had with windows, guess what he had to do?

is the module's name was: "centralized user accounts", may be you could think this is usefull, even for your small home network (may be not :-)

But NIS in itself is not "centralized user accounts"

it's nothing more than "centralized user passwords and pathname of home directory"

This is, in the words of Shakespeare, much ado about nothing.

Most users (especially the most clueless) are of the "if it
isn't broken, I'm not going to screw with it" mindset.  If
their desktop installation isn't broken, they're not going to
go looking for things to screw around with.  The only people
who WILL screw around with something like NIS settings are
the types who are also curious enough to use Google to figure
out what in the world they're getting into.

And besides, the only way bad NIS settings will cause problems
is if there are is AT LEAST one NIS slave server set up
AND ALSO at least one NIS master server set up.

If there is no NIS master, then the NIS slave just looks
for information in /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow.

If an NIS master is set up without an NIS slave, then
it doesn't do anything.