On Tue, Nov 27, 2007 at 09:42:54PM -0600, K.R. Foley wrote:
> Ruben Safir wrote:

> >> Suse kernels of the 9.x era carried a patch for subfs. If you can get
> >> that to apply to your newer kernel it might work. I am attaching a copy
> >> that worked with a 2.6.16 kernel. Good luck.
> >>
> >> --
> >>    kr
> >
> > that's interesting.  I figured that SuSE had to make a kernel hack to make
> > the automounter to
> > work correctly since it just doesn't work well in standard distrobution.
> >
> > Do you have a link that tells you how to add a patch like this to the
> > kernel module?
> >
> > Ruben
> >

> DISCLAIMER: Do this at your own risk. I assume you know how to build and
> install a kernel from source or we wouldn't be having this conversation.
>
> save attachment
> cd <your kernel sourcedir>
> cat <savedfile> | patch -p1 --dry-run (-p1 strips (one - hence -p1)
> level of directory, --dry-run says don't actually apply patch just test)
>
> Make sure there are no failed hunks. Fuzz is ok but no failures. If you
> have failures the patch won't work. If no failures continue to next step.
>
> cat <savedfile> | patch -p1 (now really apply the patch)
> make oldconfig
>
> If it doesn't prompt you about subfs run make menuconfig and turn on
> subfs for module.
>
> make; make modules_install; make install
>
> You should be on familiar ground now I assume.

Thank You!  I left this entire message intact for archival and google purposes
even
if I broke the thread.

First, I want to thank you for being so kind, and secondly for giving very
appropriate
help, which speaks to a user who knows his way around the keyboard and has some
basic
grounding in the OS and computers in general.  I've always avoided patches (and
diff)
because they make me nervous and the docs actually confuse me.  Like many
documents and
man pages they can often be written as if the reader is as familiar with the
process or
program as much as the writer.  It often takes coaching to understand what is
being read.

Your help, without fanfare, or extraneous personal commentary is just what
makes a community
more effective and many many people can learn from you.  If your ever in New
York, give me
a ring and I'll buy you a beer.  If your up to it, NYLXS does inservice
lectures aimed at
just this kind of material.

>From experience at trying to help people, I know that this kind of help is
>time consuming
and difficult to write.  I want you to know that I personally apreciate the
effort and wish
that I could spend a lifetime being just as clear and just as helpful to others.

Respectfully as always

Ruben

> --
>       kr

So many immigrant groups have swept through our town that Brooklyn, like
Atlantis, reaches mythological proportions in the mind of the world  - RI Safir
1998

"The tremendous problem we face is that we are becoming sharecroppers to our
own cultural heritage -- we need the ability to participate in our own society."

You must be a stupid engineer then, because politcs and technology have been
attached at the hip since the 1st dynasty in Ancient Egypt.  I guess you missed
that one."

© Copyright for the Digital Millennium