have you tried this? http://en.opensuse.org/ATI#openSUSE_10.3

AV wrote:
On Nov 29, 2007 4:09 AM, David C. Rankin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

See Novell Bugs, 338930, 338947, 340459
    Freedesktop Bug 13264

        It's not a pretty picture right now for any distro and ATI right now. I
had compiz working with xorg 7.2 and the 8.42 driver - lockups were the
norm on shutdown. xorg 7.3 is not compatible with the current driver and
it is both an xorg/mesa and ATI issue that will require input from both
to get a working driver.

        The solution, use the default Radeon driver, *without* 3D and your
display will be usable - However no 3D, no dri, no compiz fusion, etc..

Thank you for answer. But at first I would like to try to get working
X with ATI driver. I managed to install 8.40.4 driver (only this one
has ATI Mobility FireGL V5XXX series support). But now sax do not
start at all. I have upgraded to xorg 7.3. It could be this is my
problem, so I will try to revert to 7.2. I see in other list that some
users can use my notebook with 8.40.4 driver (in Gentoo, Ubuntu f.e.).
So I only want to start X with ATI driver at first. Then we will see.
At the moment I get from sax that
"Fatal server error:
no screens found"

I think it is something simple... I am just simple user, so it could
be my fault...

What info I have to supply for list, that would help investigate what
is wrong with my configuration...?

Thanks.

Audrius