John E. Perry wrote:
Thanks, Frank.  This seems to have solved my problem.

...well, one thing has nagged me since I put 10.1 on this thing last
year, but it's never been enough of an issue to prod me into asking
about it.  The battery indication is completely nonsensical.  If I
calibrate the battery under XP, it performs as advertised, and all the
indications are more or less accurate.  Under all versions of suse, the
battery monitor says things like "99% charged, 15:35 hours to
completion" at one extreme, or "3.4% charged, 27:14 hours remaining".
Is this a matter of hp (on my dv6000) not providing enough or correct
information to the linux facilities, or is there something I can do to
get more reasonable indications?

Actually, it just occurred to me to ask on hp's support forum.  I'd
still like to hear from you, though.

What did HP say?