On Sat, 1 Dec 2007, Chris Arnold wrote:
> I am having SLED issues and may install 10.3. I would like to know a couple
> things: 1)what versions of gnome and kde does 10.3 use?
> 2)is joining a domain as easy as in SLED?
>

> Chris

Re 2), yes. You need to create the machine trust account on the domain server
but then it is straightforward using the Windows Domain Membership tool in
Yast.

I did have trouble initially, because I have a dual boot laptop with Windows
and OpenSuse 10.3. I had an existing machine account for the laptop when
booted into Windows and then tried to get OpenSuse to join the domain using
the same hostname. It kept failing telling me that it could not create the
trust account (because the machine account already existed).

I had to give the laptop a different hostname when booted into Linux, then
create a new machine account on the server for the new hostname. After that,
it worked fine.

I still haven't figured out how to get it to mount the network drives at logon
(as opposed to system startup), so that it can map the drives on a per-user
basis (a-la Windows). I did ask on the list but got no response so I figured
that no-one knows the answer to this.

Nevertheless, it is easy to join a Windows domain with 10.3.

Hope this helps.