On Dec 5, 2007 5:12 PM, Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> Chris Worley wrote:
> > On Dec 4, 2007 11:49 AM, Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> Chris Worley wrote:
> >>> On Dec 4, 2007 10:22 AM, Jc Polanycia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>>>> Off topic, as I seldom partition anything (unpartitioned drives
> >>>>> perform best), but, you're setting yourself up for disaster using LVM
> >>>>> (any corruption to the LVM layer is not recoverable... you'll loose
> >>>>> everything... been there done that), and the performance is poor, and
> >>>>> MD RAID5/6 devices can be grown (add more disks).
> >>>>>
> >>>>> Chris
> >>>>>
> >>>> Fair enough.  I appreciate the input because I haven't run across any
> >>>> real-world stories about LVM corruption.  I have personally encountered
> >>>> corruption problems with RAID5/6 as well as problems with decreased
> >>>> performance as a RAID5 structure gets more members added to it.
> >>> I saw some RAID6 issues last year, so I use RAID5... but recent tests
> >>> have shown MD RAID6 as solid.
> >>>
> >>> "Decreased performance as more members get added to it"?  Bull!!!  I'm
> >>> guessing you have another bottleneck that has led you to this
> >>> conclusion.
> >>>
> >>> While the performance increase doesn't scale linearly as disks are
> >>> added (some CPU verhead is added with each additional drive), the more
> >>> disks, the better the performance.  I'm sure there is some Amdahl's
> >>> law limit to the increased performance scalability, but I run RAIDS up
> >>> to 12 drives, and see performance added w/ each new member.
> >>>
> >> You're hallucinating.  That defies basic information theory.
> >>
> >> Your assertion is akin to suggesting that you power your
> >> computers with a perpetual motion machine (despite the
> >> fact that such would violate the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd laws
> >> of thermodynamics).
> >
> > Amdahl's law defies "Information theory"?  How so?
> >
> > If you've got one disk that can perform at 70MB/s on a 320MB/s bus,
> > then on that bus you should be able to stripe at least  four drives
> > with less-than-linear scalability... add more busses w/ more dirves...
> > more scalability... of course, not linear.  Add caching effects, and
> > get superlinear scalabiltiy (but that doesn't count).
>
> Your analysis is flawed because it assumes zero time
> for disk-head seeks.
>

How does it assume zero time?

If you've got multiple disks all seeking simultaneously, it is a
parallel, not serial, operation.

You must be assuming that striping across a RAID is somehow a serial operation.

Chris
>
>
>
> --
>
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>
-- 
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
For additional commands, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to