Carlos E. R. wrote:

The Thursday 2007-12-06 at 17:26 -0800, Randall R Schulz wrote:

On Thursday 06 December 2007 17:16, Carlos E. R. wrote:

Please, remember that the system time does not use the cmos clock and
battery at all. That's a different clock altogether. Plus, the cmos
clock is running fine, I'm checking it at the moment.

"... at all ...?" I don't think this is really true, is it?

When the system starts up, the Linux kernel initializes it's notion of
the current time from the mainboard's CMOS clock (which, on all
machines built in the past twenty years or more, is powered and running
even when the computer is powered down and even disconnected from the
mains; that's in part what the battery is for).

I know that. I actually wrote a howto on that ;-)

What I mean is that during normal system use it is not used at all. It is read on boot, and written on halt (and I think on NTP stop, by the script, not the daemon).

In your first post, one of your own logfile excerpts
shows a line where it is syncing to a strata 10 source.
Every line after that shows attempts to re-sync to
a strata 2 source, with very large corrections, and
if I remember correctly, fails to do so.

Perhaps you should comment out your strata 10 source.

+ 27 Nov 15:31:56 ntpd[12905]: synchronized to 91.121...., stratum 2
+ 27 Nov 15:38:31 ntpd[12905]: synchronized to 192.33...., stratum 2
+ 27 Nov 15:39:25 ntpd[12905]: synchronized to 195.55...., stratum 2
+ 27 Nov 15:39:40 ntpd[12905]: synchronized to LOCAL(0), stratum 10
+ 27 Nov 16:22:22 ntpd[12905]: synchronized to 84.88...., stratum 2
+ 27 Nov 16:22:22 ntpd[12905]: time correction of 1678 seconds exceeds sanity limit (1000); set clock manually to the correct UTC time.

Thereafter, the Linux kernel updates its time based on a timer
interrupt, also generated by local hardware, of course. These timers
are, as has been noted, not particularly accurate and often exhibit
considerable drift over even moderate real-time intervals.

Not really. I have been using this same machine without permanent network, and thus, no NTP, for years, and the clock drift was about a second or two per day.

Likewise, if the system cannot contact an NTP server, it has a
reasonable guess as to the current time, and it makes do with that.

It should be able to keep accurate time for hours, even days. This was so with previous suse versions, but not with 10.3. It drifts minutes in half an hour. This is unthinkable!

Because after it loses its strata 3 network source, it reverts
to the strata 10 source (CMOS clock on the motherboard), and
that's when your problems begin.