[EMAIL PROTECTED] a écrit :
On Saturday 08 December 2007 03:23:53 am Catimimi wrote:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] a écrit :
After trying a bunch of things on my problem of accessing a physical xp
installation from my vmware server inside my 10.3 install, the final
conclusion is that it can not be done. Suse 10.3 presents my
hda1partition as sda1 to vmware and thus to all the virtual machines i
can set up thru vmware, yet a dual boot configuration maintains the ide
character of the hard drive. Thus, when booting from a dual boot, the
doze partition knows it is an ide, when i try to access it thru vmware
doze is being told it is a scsi!!!!!
I don't agree, if you connect this drive to a vmware IDE controller (as
I told you), windows
is told that it is an IDE partition.

Michel

Joe,
yes, itried to boot with hwprobe=-modules.pata and i did check the spelling. It did not stop calling the ide drive sda.
Michel,
when vmware is told that the only drives that exist are scsi devices, it does not give any option on naming a physical drive as an ide drive, it only gives me my pick of sdx devices to choose for my physical drive. yes, i can install vmscsi and install an xp system, however when it all goes back to ide in a direct boot , doze just freezes up. The only way out of this is to have linucs present an ide device to vmware when linucs is running. Or I could switch to a scsi drive, but that is basically impossible on a laptop. Or somehow hack the .vmx file to see ide, hey, that I did not try, maybe there is some hope there! ok, i try one more time, tomorrow!
thanks for encouraging me to not quit just yet:)
d.
First : did you try to connect your drive via the IDE interface of VMware, without the vmware scsi driver ?
Try that, it'll work!!

Second : when Linux calls a drive sdx, it is just a generic appellation, that doesn't mean
that it is a scsi device.

Michel.