On Saturday 08 December 2007 21:51, Jeffrey L. Taylor wrote:
> The disk needs to be partitioned before doing a restore with dd.  It copies
> partitions, not disks.  It makes partition images, not disk images.

This is true if to copy partition, but dd can copy entire disks as well. No
pre-partitioning required in that case.

I recently backed up an entire disk with three partitions (including one
encrypted)  to a new disk (same model) without partitioning.  Something along
the lines of

dd if=/dev/<drive_to_copy> of=/dev/<backup_drive>  bs=8M

Works fine.

--
Don