All -

I'm running OpenSuse 10.3 with all patches installed. I have two servers - both brand new Dell PowerEdge 2950s - one with two dual-core 2.00 GHz CPUs, 4GB RAM, and one with two quad-core 3.00 GHz CPUs, 8GB RAM. The machines appear to run fine with no problems. However, when I boot into the Xen-PAE kernel, and launch the graphical VM-INSTALL client, the entire server hangs during the installation of software onto the VM.

I'm at runlevel 5, logged in to KDE, running the virtual machine install client. I've tried a number of different boot parameters... here's my latest attempt:

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: xen###
title XEN -- openSUSE 10.3 - 2.6.22.13-0.3
   root (hd0,0)
kernel /xen-pae-dbg.gz showopts noresume splash=verbose sync_console apm=off acpi=off lapic module /vmlinuz-2.6.22.13-0.3-xenpae root=/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-36001c230d3caa8000ecdebd25cc0a365-part3 vga=0x317 resume=/dev/sda2 showopts noresume splash=verbose sync_console apm=off acpi=off lapic
   module /initrd-2.6.22.13-0.3-xenpae

The setup creates the disk, the SuSE installer launches in a VNC window on my desktop, I can configure disks and choose software.

But when I actually get through the configuration, and the installer starts to install SuSE on the virtual client's virtual disk, it gets about 20% of the way through, and then the ENTIRE SERVER hangs.

No output is written to the console. No boot.omsg, no dmesg, no xm dmesg, nothing.

As this happens on two separate machines, I doubt that I'm experiencing a hardware failure.

I've checked the archives, the web, without luck.

Can anyone point me in the direction of any useful help?

Thank you so much!

Glen