In looking at another problem, I noticed in SuSE 10.3 (and 10.2)
there is a "boot step" called "S01earlysyslog".  It seems to check
to see if any logs are configured to use the net (looks for tcp &
udp), and if they are, start them right away.  For those not going
to the net (those logged locally), normal syslog functionality
is enabled in "S06syslog".

Odd thing is that "earlysyslog" seems to only be called when the system
is specified to come up in a graphical boot (rc5).  Even though both
rc2 and rc3 also enable the network, there is no "early" step to
send output to the net as a "first" (S01) step.  In runmodes
2 and 3, syslogging to the net doesn't get enabled until S06syslog
is run.  So why they difference?

Level 3 is identical to 5 except for graphics.  I can't see why one
would not want "earlysyslog" in run-level 3 as much as 5.  Along
the same lines, level 2 is identical to 3 except that *server*
processes enabling other users to remotely access the machine over
the net are not enabled.  However the network is enabled, and anything
sending output to the net should work as 'normal'.  Again, I can't
see why one would want early syslogging for a system in 5 but not 2.

Is there some reason I'm unfamiliar with that makes early syslogging
to the network desirable only in run level 5?

Thanks,
-linda