The Saturday 2007-12-15 at 10:00 -0000, Tim Hempstead wrote:

..

Now sdg is part of a 6 disk RAID5 array (md0) using Linux software
raid.  I am assuming that the process to replace the disk is something
like this:

0 - check the state

mdadm --detail /dev/md0

1). Make sure I have an up to date backup of everything important off the server
2). Fail the disk in the Raid array by using a mdadm command? (as its
not showing in there as having issues yet so I'll need to force it)

        mdadm --manage --set-faulty /dev/md0 /dev/sdg

3). Remove disk from array using mdadm command?

        mdadm /dev/md0 -r /dev/sdg

4). Establish which physical disk is sdg (I have it down to 2 already i think)
5). Shutdown server
6). Replace disk with another of the same size (fortunately i have a spare).

Or bigger.

7). start up server

Partition the disk, type fd - I'm unsure if it is absolutely necessary, but I believe it is. Check the other disks to make sure.

8). Add disk to array (as new spare?)

Or simply add it

      mdadm /dev/md0 -a /dev/sdg

but check first if it still is sdg

9). re-sync the array onto the new disk

Should start up automatically after adding it.

I am not to sure about steps 2 and 3 and steps 8 and 9 so if anyone
has any information, (or any good links to information on how to do
this), I would be grateful if you could share you insights.

There is a howto with way more info.

- -- Cheers,
       Carlos E. R.