Carl Hartung schreef:
> On Sat December 15 2007 05:59:18 pm Paul Hands wrote:
>> Here's a simple example:
>>
>> *mencoder infile.wmv -ofps 23.976 -ovc lavc -oac copy -o outfile.avi*
>
> Okay, let's see...  I /think/ I get much of this:
>
> mencoder is the program, input file, unexplained options :-), -output video
> codec, -output audio codec, unexplained 'copy' argument, -output to,
> filename.
>
> If you don't mind, what are the unexplained bits for?

Oh, ah.  -ofps frames per second on output, -oac copy means that the audio
stream is just copied from the input and not reencoded. Especially useful if you
want to cut out a section:

mencoder foo.SOMEWILDFORMAT -ss 1:36:26 -endpos 5:37 -ovc copy -oac copy -o
bar.avi

just cuts out a 5 minutes 37 seconds section starting at 1 hour 36 minutes 26
seconds into the videofile foo.SOMEWILDFORMAT and just copies the video and
audio stream into an avi file.
The starting time is only loosely defined (I find that the starting point
remains invariant for a 10 second perturbation in the starting time parameter)
but apart from that it is the fastest avi cutter I know of.

lavc is the libavc, and you could configure a few options with a -lavcopts
parameter. Also you could use, say, mp3 as audio codec in which case the oac
parameter would read
-oac mp3lame (-lameopts LAMEOPTS)

A good starting point:
http://web.njit.edu/all_topics/Prog_Lang_Docs/html/mplayer/encoding.html

regards,
--
Jos van Kan                registered Linux user #152704

Oh, btw, the given mencoder line does just the opposite the OP wanted, i.e.
convert an avi file to wmv, but that's left as an excercise to the reader. :-)