Sloan wrote:
Gary Baribault wrote:
And just for your general information, with Beagle installed, SuSE was
using 1.5Gig of Memory and 256Meg of Swap.

After removing Beagle and a reboot, I have 887Meg free and no swap used,
I would think that Beagle qualifies as a HOG. I don't care what it
offers as an advantage, it isn't worth that, (I have about 2 Gigs of
EMail it was indexing)

Well, I've never rebooted after nuking beagle, but I've always noticed
similar benefits -

Unfortunately beagle got my attention because whilst playing quake 3
arena online I would experience annoying pauses during game play,
lasting up to half a second. Naturally I would often be fragged during
these comatose periods. Removing beagle and zmd brings back silky smooth
performance. It would be great if the beagle devs could take a page from
the boinc playbook, and only use CPU when it is not being used by other
apps.

That's done by the scheduler in the kernel, not the app.
And it's not just CPU usage... beagle stresses the
entire system (especially clogging up filesystem
I/O with a flood of outstanding requests which
keep the disk-heads moving all the time, and
introducing a big delay in disk I/O responsiveness
for any other process (both already running and
new processes).

Joe