On Saturday 22 December 2007 15:58, James Knott wrote:

> Well, I've been in the workforce for over 35 years.  One thing I've
> found is those who take it on themselves to learn more tend to do
> better.  Those who won't make the attempt, tend not to advance.

All well and good, but tell me, what are the consequences of advancing
the ignition timing 2° on your car's engine?

What happens if one increases the pressure in the catalytic cracker of a
petroleum refinery by 10 bars?

What are the consequences of changing the loading factor of a hash table
from 2.25 to 1.75 in a dictionary application?

What will happen if I replace the discrimination tree in a Semantic Web
reasoner with a top-symbol hash table?

This is all nonsense. Users of a technolgoy _are not_ to be held to the
same standard of understanding as developers of that technology.

It simply cannot be otherwise, unless we're willing to slow the rate of
technological process by many orders of magnitude.

Randall Schulz