James Knott wrote:
Aaron Kulkis wrote:

hotpop.com has been flaky lately.

sometimes it's taking 2-3 days to get messages off of
my machine to smtp.hotpop.com. :-/

Unfortunately, there's not much I can do about it,
other than switch to a pay service for POP access --
which I will probably do within the next year..but
for now, I'm kinda stuck with these glitches.

What I find curious is when replyies to a post appear before the post
does.  I've seen some that were hours or even days later than the
messages that replied to them.  That's happened on this list and others.

Because hotpop's smtp host is flaky.
For some reason, occasionally, it will stop accepting
outgoing mail -- even though I can do this:

telnet smtp.hotpop.com 25

and get a valid response (i.e. data sent to the
smtp port is being sent).

There seems to be some sort of problem with their
user account validation, or something.  They have
a trouble-ticket system, but i've never seen
any activity on it (other than my own follow
up comments).  I've even told them that if they
would just be RESPONSIVE, I would be happy to
upgrade to a pay account.  Even that hasn't
prompted even the slightest acknowledgement
of a trouble-ticket other than the software's
built-in auto-responder.