On Sunday 30 December 2007 03:53:18 am Dave Plater wrote:
[...]
> I decided to go
> along and included kernel sources for said downgrade (upgrade for my old
> 2.6.22.9-0.4 )
> and downloaded the whole kernel-default-2.6.22.13-0.3.i586.rpm and
> source and syms (remember I once said I wanted yast to keep copies once
> and smart package manager doesn't work properly yet) .
> I then rebooted and as usual my x server didn't start. I was ready for
> this. I logged in as root and ran NVIDIA-Linux-x86-96.43.01-pkg1.run and
> it fixed my nvidia problem.
> My main problem is why did I have to do that, why couldn't my desktop
> come up immediately.

  http://en.opensuse.org/NVIDIA
Section "The easy way" warning in the blue box.

I just moved warning before any version related information as it is valid for
all versions, present and future. Sometimes, to satisfy more improtant
reasons of computer security and stability, kernel is updated in a such way
that old precompiled driver is no more compatible with new kernel.

I checked X11 repository:
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/X11:/Drivers:/Video:/nvidia/
but there is no directory for 10.3, so advice to use hard way is still valid.

--
Regards,
Rajko