Somewhere or another, in all the possible configuration areas, there's
an option that activates windows when the mouse passes over them.  (I'm
using KDE.)  I must have thought it would be a good option to try, and I
vaguely remember turning it on, but now it's driving me mad.

After clicking where I want to insert text into an email message or an
editor, for example, I habitually move the mouse cursor away from there,
so it isn't included in the text I'm looking at.

If I accidentally move the mouse off the message and onto the
Thunderbird window behind it, say, then the main Thunderbird window is
activated, the message is deactivated,  and I can't enter text until I
move the cursor back onto the message window.  A similar thing happens
if I move the mouse cursor off the gedit window I'm using.

Mere words can't express how annoying that is, and turning that option
off would be far preferable than forming new editing habits.

Trouble is, I can't find it again.  I've looked everywhere I can think
of, and can't find any such option anywhere.  Does anyone here recognize
the option I'm talking about, and remember where that is?