Marcus Meissner wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 30, 2007 at 08:11:37PM +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> I read a lot about kernel updates in this list, but I still have the
>> following (understanding?) problem:
>>
>> When I install a new kernel from on of the repositories
>>
>> http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Kernel:/Vanilla/openSUSE_10.3/
>> or
>> http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Kernel:/HEAD/openSUSE_Factory/i586/
>>
>> I get the "most current" Version of the kernel. When I now want to stick
>> to a specific version, lets say 2.6.23 or 2.6.24 (when finished), where
>> will I get the security updates for the version? The repositories will
>> change to the newer branch again, won't they?
>>
>> Also, where do I get the 2.6.23 build now, when there are already the
>> 2.6.24-rc builds in the repositories?
>
> You get the security updates for the kernels of released products, not
> for every 2.6.xx branch. (Of course someone could create subpackages
> for every 2.6.xx kernel.)
>
> Ciao, Marcus

So there is NO (update-)repository that allows me to use 2.6.23? OK.
This brings me to another question on compiling the kernel myself:

Some people talk about the SUSE-common method of installing a
self-compiled kernel by first creating an RPM. Are there any howtos
describing this method for OpenSUSE 10.3? I found a lot on
self-compiling, but nothing on this first-make-a-RPM method.

Another point: I just found this ccj_kernel from engelh. Doesn't he
provide a repository with newer kernels for OpenSUSE versions? Are there
any opinions about this branch?

Thanks,

Oliver.