On Wednesday 02 January 2008 4:18 pm Carlos F. Lange wrote:
> Another annoying behaviour is that KNetworkManager sometimes does
> not "see" my home network nor the neighbour's, only some "default" (we
> broadcast the SSID). I tried to wait a little to see if my network was
> not announcing itself immediately, but no luck. After switching to
> Windows to verify that the signal was good and coming back,
> KNetworkManager "saw" all the networks and connected right at the 2nd
> try.

Carlos,  I have the same wifi card on two machines.  Similar problem to yours,
It appears the card is not being powered on by the LInux drivers setup.
Booting to xp allows the card to be powered up as evident by the little lite
on the laptop.
Have you checked your var/log/messages?  Also look at var/log/NetworkManager.
Whenever mine fails the message in this one says activation of the card
failed.

Another thing that might make a difference is to disable the Ipv6 stuff.

I eventually gave up and started using a usb wireless with 10db antenna.  It
uses the Zydas  ZD1211 firmware provided by suse. I figured we shouldn't have
to reboot to windows to restart the darned network card.

Richard